Creative Direction, Creative Production
A multimedia digital campaign in collaboration with Squarespace to raise awareness and funds for the David Lynch Foundation.
The online experience featured:
- Seven short films in which John Malkovich reinterpreted David Lynch’s most iconic characters
- An extended
director’s cut film
- A full length music album available featuring musicians like Duran Duran, Karen O, Moby, Lykke Li, Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips and more (available as a digital download or collector’s edition LP)
- Limited edition prints
The Playing Lynch online experience was rolled out with a step by step campaign that utilized cryptic easter eggs and a healthy dose of mystery.
On fan forums, we used unknown accounts to post links to an ominous countdown clock that teased something was about to happen. Hints such as crypted cinemagraphs were hidden on sites like Reddit, Soundcloud, and Lynch fan sites. A social media push included tweets from David Lynch himself. We also shared Squarespace microsites for fictional businesses, that true fans would recognize from the world of David Lynch.
The mysterious teaser campaign had social communities guessing and debating every possible outcome. In the end, the experiential campaign received more press and PR than a Super Bowl campaign, received numerous awards, and helped raise significant awareness and funds for the David Lynch Foundation.
See a walk-through of the online experience here.
Adage coverage here.
Creativity coverage here.
Fast Company coverage here.
Rolling Stone coverage here.
WSJ coverage here.
Huffington Post coverage here.
i-D coverage here.
Pitchfork coverage here.
- 10 million Twitter impressions
- 11 thousand Facebook shares
- A total of 166 million earned media impressions
Squarespace, Preacher, Wild